Private & OSHC Health Insurance

As an international student in Australia, you are required to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire duration of your study in Australia. But there are also other types of private or OSHC student health insurance which you may find useful.

Overseas Student Health Cover

International students undertaking formal studies in Australia, and their dependents (for example, spouses and children under 18 years old), must obtain OSHC cover. It includes cover for visits to the doctor, some hospital treatment, ambulance cover and limited pharmaceuticals (medicines).

OSHC insurers can provide a range of different OSHC health insurance products. These may range from a basic product which covers only the compulsory minimum services to comprehensive products which cover, in addition to the compulsory minimum services, extra services as specified under the particular policy. You can find more information on OSHC health insurance policies, including a list of the providers and average costs, on the Department of Health website.

Remember, the Department of Immigration and Citizenship requires overseas students to maintain their OSHC cover for the duration of time they are in Australia. For further information on OSHC student health insurance policies, please visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

Private Health Insurance

Along with your OSHC cover, you might want to consider purchasing private health insurance to cover items that your OSHC health insurance does not cover. You can take out private health insurance to cover just you or your family as well. Benefits, membership costs and eligibility can vary greatly between funds and insurance policies, so when buying health insurance, take care to ensure the cover you select is suitable for your needs. We can recommend Bupa, NIB and Allianz overseas student health cover for you, although there might be another private insurance company that you may prefer instead. You can find more information at: www.privatehealth.gov.au

Get Help with OSHC Cover Today

If you want to study in Australia, contact Bluestone Education and Migration today for help finding the right OSHC student health insurance policy for you.

Make an Enquiry

    Talk to our Team of Experts

    To know how we can help you with your future or pathway to Australia. Contact us today!

    Upload Your Resume

      Send Interest